| Turner, The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her last Berth to be broken up, 1838, Oil on canvas |
| Monet, Water Lilies, 1919, Oil on canvas |
Similar to Turner, Monet used landscapes and nature as one of his main influences in his artwork. Claude Monet, the French Impressionist artist, is one of my all time favourites (as you can see by the header image, it's a photograph of me and one of Monet's famous Water Lily paintings at the MET in New York!) The Tate Liverpool will exhibit a number of paintings from the Water Lily series. This particular series has around 250 works of art, all depicting the same motif! That's a whole lotta' water and lily pods.
Now, if you've never seen any of Monet's water lilies, you should. It's a must. If you're in London, head to the National Gallery as you can see one there. I personally think these paintings are amazing. I found it very awe-inspiring when I first viewed them. Monet, as all Impressionists do, creates an impression. As you look closely at the painting all you see are the swirls and mashing together of vibrant colours without any one set image being portrayed. It's almost as if someone has mixed an array of colours on a palette.
Then, as you step back and see the painting in all its form and glory, you see the vibrant, intense colours come together to create this magnificent painting. There's something almost Romantic about the natural scenes that Monet depicts, which is why Turner and Monet seem like such a good fit together in this exhibition.
Twombly, Untitled, 2007
The paintings in this series are influenced by nature, and Twombly's work shows how the world of art has transformed. The simple shapes of the flowers also remind me of Monet's lilies, which perhaps was an influence of his.
After looking at some artworks by Turner, Monet and Twombly it is clear that they are all influenced by nature, but all articulate it somewhat differently. This is an exhibition that I will definitely be attending, and I cannot wait to be in touching (of course you can't touch the paintings though!!) distance of Monet's water lilies.
I'm currently volunteering at the Tate Liverpool and have been able to go inside the exhibition. All I can say is 'Wow'. The art works are beautiful. Keep your eyes peeled to my blog as I'll be posting my own review of the exhibition soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment