Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Artist of the week: Mark Powell


Envelopes can be seen as a form of canvas. A blank surface awaiting a burst of creativity all over it. The one thing that annoys me, or depresses me should I say, is the the fact that envelopes are boring, mundane and just thrown in the bin after being teared open. Now don't get me wrong, I know that envelopes are the packaging making sure that letters to your beloved are protected, however, I feel that so much can be utilised on them to make the old fashioned process of receiving a letter much more exciting.

During the Christmas holidays I was sending a card to a friend of mine, and, being frustrated at the blank paper that starred up at me (or maybe it was simply a form of procrastination from revision...) I decided to google 'envelope art'. To my surprise, a whole list of artists and various images of artwork on envelopes appeared - oh the magic of google! 

One artist that I have decided to make my 'Artist of the Week' is Mark Powell. Having stumbled upon his work during my procrastination/search of creativity inspiration, I fell in love.



The images are so detailed and realistic, bringing the envelopes alive with the sound of Biro... My favourite images of Powell's are the ones depicting birds, perhaps linking the idea of traveling (flying) and the letter being taken to it's indented receiver. 

The fact that the drawings are created in Biro makes them even more better in my eyes. A medium that I haven't really used in art, it just shows that you can create artwork without having to use the traditional methods of paints and the traditional methods of canvases.



You can see some more of Mark Powell's work on his website (http://markpowellartist.com/) which I definitely recommend you do.

Being inspired by his work, I created my own envelope drawing in pencil and here it is.
I'm definitely going to create more envelope art, as I think it adds a more personal note to the letter/card etc that's being sent. So watch this space!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...