Saturday, 10 August 2013

David Bowie is, Victoria and Albert Exhibition comes to a cinema near you!

Album cover shoot for Aladdin Sane, 1973. Photograph by Brian Duffy © Duffy Archive
I was absolutely gutted to find out that pretty much all the tickets to the David Bowie exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum had sold out. Living nowhere near London has it's flaws (I live in London, so popping down for the day just to see the exhibition is a little tricky). I am such a huge fan of Bowie, having been forced to listen to him whilst in the car or in the house by my Dad, over the years this manifested into me really enjoying his music. One of the first memories that I have of my encounter with Bowie was watching the Labyrinth over and over again - it's still one of my favourites, and I'm not embarrassed to say that I know pretty much all the words to the soundtrack. Who doesn't like 80s synth pop? I'm also obviously an avid listener of his music, and often found myself having to explain to my peers who he was and why I loved his music so much! - oh the twenty-first century, over taking the classic and iconic music that everyone should listen to. I remember as a kid thinking that Life on Mars was about me because I had/have mousy hair!

Come on, who wouldn't kill for a classic 80's ball? Look at those puffy shoulders!
So, as you can guess, I was over the moon to find out that the V&A are presenting David Bowie is Happening Now - a nationwide cinema event screened live from its smash-hit exhibition David Bowie is. They will provide a live screening from the exhibition as a finale. This screening will offer the viewers a unique opportunity into seeing the exhibition. It includes interviews with the exhibition curators and special guests, offering an insight into the stories behind some of the 300 objects from the David Bowie Archive; it also offers behind the scenes tours of the exhibition - something that you wouldn't get in person! One other thing that I should add that the screening includes is exclusive footage never seen outside the exhibition. So this is definitely an event not to be missed by those Bowie enthusiasts.

Although this may seem a rare event, lately it has become a popular and more frequent occurrence, with many galleries 'screening' their exhibition on the big screens around the country. One only has too look at various screenings such as the airing of Manet: Portraying Life from the Royal Academy and Edvard Munch: The Modern Eye at the Tate Modern. These occasions where people can see behind the scenes footage of the exhibition, interviews with the curators and many of the works displayed is a fantastic idea allowing those who do not have option of visiting London to see these shows.

The show that I am seeing is this Tuesday (Tuesday 13th August), so check your local cinema now to find out the details and quickly book your ticket before it's too late!

Striped bodysuit for Aladdin Sane tour 1973, Design by Kansai Yamamoto, Photograph by Masayoshi Sukita, © Sukita The David Bowie Archive 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...