Two weeks ago I started my current internship, as Curatorial Intern at the Liverpool Biennial of Contemporary Arts.
For those who don't know what the Liverpool Biennial is, it's the UK Biennial of
Contemporary Art. Every two years, the city of Liverpool hosts an extensive
range of artworks, projects and associated events. It is the largest
international contemporary art festival in the UK. An integrated research
programme of learning, talks and events makes up a year-round programme.
What is fantastic about the Biennial, is that it unfolds
through a programme of exhibitions and projects that takes place throughout the
city. This means that everyone entering the city of Liverpool at some point
throughout the duration of the Biennial will encounter various artworks. Newly
commissioned and existing artworks and projects are presented in diverse
locations, including in unusual and unexpected public spaces and the city's
galleries, museums and cultural venues.
The Liverpool Biennial 2012’s theme was Hospitality. One
piece of art that I distinctly remember from the Liverpool Biennial 2012 was
found right in the heart of the city Centre. Created by Israeli born Oded
Hirsch, The Lift was Hirsch’s fist public realm commission, appearing as an
elevator bursting through the pristine and seducative shopping district of
Liverpool ONE. What was incredibly interesting about this work, is that it
immediately interferes with how the space is usually moved through, and points
disconcertingly to the possibility of an unknown subterranean place. When I
first encountered this work, I had no idea it was part of the Biennial – how
naïve! It’s fascinating how it made people question and stop in their tracks,
when normally people are so determined to get from a to b without a hitch or
problem – and this artwork certainly caused a problem within this path.
![]() |
| The Lift, 2012, Oded Hirsch, Mixed media installation, Commissioned by Liverpool Biennial |
The Liverpool Biennial commissions leading and emerging
artists to make and present permanent and temporary public artworks as well as
long-term community based projects. And the artwork for 2014 looks
extremely interesting! The international curators working with the Biennial for
2014 are Anthony Huberman and Mai Abu ElDahab; both whom have extensive past
curatorial experiences. I'm thrilled to be working alongside such international and wide known curators, and hopefully provide me with invaluable understanding into the curatorial world.
My job as Curatorial Intern encompasses many different
roles. Throughout the duration of my two weeks so far (two weeks of a 3 month
internship), I have done a lot of corresponding with artists and galleries, the
curators Mai and Anthony, and lots of research. Sadly, I cannot discuss my role
too much – as the artists we’re currently looking at are top secret for now. I’m
also helping with the public programme that are currently happening; such as an
event next Tuesday, in which the Biennial are launching an online journal –
very exciting stuff!
The office of the Liverpool Biennial is amazing, a work of
art in itself! All the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, and have made
feel right at home. Experiencing the behind-the-scenes of such an International
Festival is proving extremely insightful and helpful. I’ve always been so naïve
as to expecting such events to just appear out of thin air, when actually,
there is so much hard work that goes into it – as I am finding out now.
![]() |
| My current view! |



No comments:
Post a Comment