Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Bake it: Banana bread recipe

 

 I've been baking this banana bread cake for years now, and each time it seems to taste better! The recipe is from Gary Rhodes 'Short-cut Rhodes' book which my mum owns. It's so easy to follow, so easy that you really can't get it wrong. One reason why I love this particular recipe is because you can change it by adding different flavours in each time. 

What you need:
  • 3 bananas - make sure they are ripe, or over-ripe. Over-ripe is tastier!
  • 225g self-raising flour.
  • 175g caster sugar.
  • 100g unsalted butter.
  • 2 eggs.
  • 2 tablespoons of syrup.
  • Extras:  add chocolate chips/chunks into the mixture, or nuts, or anything you think will compliment the banana.
001. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas mark 2. 

002. Peel and mash the bananas into a bowl with a fork. Try and get ride of all the lumps. Then add all the rest of the ingredients in the same bowl. Make the mixture nice and smooth , which can be done by hand or with an electrical mixture. In this particular banana bread I added a few handfuls of dark, milk and white chocolate. Yummy.

   

003. Line and grease the cake tins. Then put the mixture into the lined tins. As you can see I had enough mixture to put the left over into a mini baking tin! How cute.

   

004. Put the tins into the oven and cook for about 1 1/4 hours.  Check after an hour, making sure not to open the oven too soon after the cake is put in the oven as you don't want the mixture to sink! Put a knife through the cake to see if it comes out clean, and once the cake feels firm to the touch take it out of the oven.  

005. Leave to cool down a bit and gobble it down! What I did was melted chocolate and poured it on the top of the cake - yes I did melt a bit too much but boy was it delicious.

 

What not have a go at making your own Banana bread! It's so easy there are no excuses not too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...